Thursday, November 23, 2006

the kitchen

I got here yesterday right as my parents returned from the grocery store with enough supplies to make dinner for a small town. And I know everyone will come bearing a veggie and possibly a dessert. I'm kind of excited about this, as it means leftovers!!!! I did my part yesterday afternoon with crab stuffed mushrooms and a homemade apple pie. This is way no easy feat, as my mom has a small kitchen, and was also trying to cook. It was fairly major chaos, especially as the puppies wanted to help. So three hours, 4 pints of mushrooms and 7 peeled-by-hand apples later, I finished. And I went to see a couple of friends of high school....right before I was about to come home with a splitting headache, my mom called to tell me I needed to buy a new pie. Let's make something clear here before I go on: I don't buy pie. I don't buy cookies. I don't buy baked goods!!! I don't even buy pie crust (its really not hard to make!) I take some pride in my baking skills! How, why, you ask, did she tell me to buy a pie?

Because I left my pans on top of the stove to cool, and somehow, in a sequence of events that's not totally clear and I don't care to try to repeat, in the trip from stove top to refrigerator, mushrooms were spilled, filling side down, into my pie.

She apologized at some length. I think she thought I was going to be really pissed. I was sort of flabbergastered instead. How does that happen? And did she SERIOUSLY think I would buy a grocery store pie??

I'm making a new one today, with apples peeled by mom, after the turkey gets out of the oven.

2 comments:

Katy said...

i stopped peeling apples for pies. i learned this from the hippie produce people i buy from. it's so much easier to just use one of those corer things and be done with it! and the peels don't really eff up your pie. i think you should try it.

but HANG ON! how about those mushrooms??? were they ok? i would be devastated about the mushrooms.

Emily said...

The mushrooms were fine. Actually, they were ok. (aside from the three that were lost to the pie) I think they were too cheesy. The recipe called for cream cheese, which kind of overpowered the crab. I need to try it again with a different recipe.

Regarding the pies --- my gf has this totally awesome apple/potato peeler/corer/slicer thing. You stick the apple on it, crank it 5 times, and voila, apple slices! Its awesome! Sadly, I neglected to borrow it for Thanksgiving!